So… Yeah… Unfortunately, there are some last minute complications. I alluded to them very briefly on my Facebook, and I don’t plan on going any further into depth than that, but for those who don’t get their Thomas J. Black fix on Facebook… Yeah, there have been some problems.
For starters, the cover art. It’s not here yet. I, nor my artist, anticipated real life getting in the way of things.
Secondly, I’m having… Words, with KDP currently.
The story has less to do with anything going on with book 3, and more to do with attempting to make repairs to book 2. A reader on Reader’s Favorite let me know of some minor spelling errors I didn’t catch. I also wanted to fix a very minor continuity error, and I wanted to switch the interior from color to black and white. Having a color interior so that the title page can have one word written in orange seems kind of stupid in hindsight. Plus, it’s already like that on the cover. Also, I have to sell the book for a minimum price in order to cover printing costs, and when you publish a book with a color interior, that minimum price goes WAY up. Call me crazy, but $22 for a 170 page book sounds ridiculous.
Furthermore, after uploading the revised manuscript to KDP, I noticed the minimum price actually went from $20 to fucking $30.75! Now that’s definitely not worth charging for a 170 page book in my opinion.
I’m currently in talks with KDP on how to fix this dilemma, and… In all honesty, KDP seems stumped. They gave me an idea or two to try, but there’s no guarantee it’ll work. Also, They insisted my conversation with them was going to get sent up to corporate. Apparently, wanting to switch your interior from color to black-and-white, and vise versa, is a possibility the board of directors didn’t anticipate. Leave it to the blind guy to stumble across something nobody ever thought of, right? It’s iPhone1 all fucking over again.
So yeah. complications with all things Gael have made it impossible for me to put up The Hood and the Heroine on time. Believe me, I cannot apologize enough for the inconvenience. I do hope to get this all fixed before October.
For the foreseeable future, though, I’m thinking of putting up an ad for a new cover artist. My current artist does great work, and I’d totally recommend him for a gig if you’re looking for somebody, but from what he’s told me, things are getting a bit hectic on his end of the net, and I may want to consider other options in the future as a result. Life happens. I get it.
I can’t guarantee when the book will be out for sure. I do hope to have it up by October, and if I have to upload a coverless version, then so be it.
Stay tuned to this blog for further news regarding this matter. I’ll try to keep you posted if any developments occur.